BPI Home Energy Professional Training Program
Home Energy Professional Energy Auditor Certification Training
*Experience documentation required for Testing not the Training
Hope for Homes’ Full Course Description
H4H’s HEP Energy Auditor course aligns with the professional standards set forth by the Building Performance Institute related to the energy efficiency and performance of residential buildings. These standards focus on energy conservation measures and criteria while also focusing on the health and safety of the homeowner and the technician. The Home Energy Professional (HEP) Energy Auditor certification is offered by BPI and is supported by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and its National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL).
This course is designed to produce a comprehensive overview of building science for low-rise single-family homes and low-rise multifamily buildings. The HEP Energy Auditor certification demonstrates advanced competency through rigorous online and field exams, and work experience prerequisites.
You may take the course, as well as your written and field exams at the same location.
Bonus: Getting the Energy Auditor certification automatically earns you the BPI Building Analyst (BA) certification.
Why Take This Course?
The HEP Energy Auditor certification provides the professional a foundation, understanding of how residential buildings and their equipment function as a system, as well as cost effective strategies for repair or replacing. This course will provide knowledge of basic building science as a basis in establishing healthy, safe, durable and efficient homes that is required achieve BPI Building Analyst Certification.
Experienced weatherization professionals will add new tools to their toolbox as well as a fresh understanding of diagnostic testing and evaluating those results through cost effective strategies. This course is ideal for anyone who already works with residential buildings and wants to gain new perspectives on connections of all the systems of the home, including the occupants and an improved ability to prioritize energy-efficiency work in a job scope.
- Differentiate yourself in the weatherization/contracting field
- Gain the certification needed to participate in WAP and other local Federal & State incentive programs
- Get a job as a BPI certified professional
- EA is required in order to achieve Quality Control Inspector for the WAP programs
This course is geared toward professionals in residential energy efficiency, weatherization programs as well as remodeling and HVAC industries. Understanding a diversity of issues and they’re sources allows the professional to provide safe, healthy energy efficient solutions.
- General Contractors
- HERS Rater
- Auditor for utility low income program
- HVAC Technician or Installers
- Insulation professionals
- Sales personnel of energy products
- Home Inspectors
- Home Energy Professionals
- Weatherization professionals – Admin to better assist in initial interviews and screening
- Anyone interested in a career in energy auditing
H4H’s HEP Energy Auditor class begins with the understanding of residential construction and its trends. The course teaches the candidate, when mechanical and combustion equipment are introduced, how they can significantly change the dynamics of the structure. At completion, the candidate should be able to analyze and make appropriate recommendations to reduce the overall energy while promoting a safe and healthy home.
(BPI Energy Auditor Course – Table of Contents)
This course will provide knowledge of building science as a basis in establishing healthy, safe, durable and efficient homes that is required achieve BPI Home Energy Professional Energy Auditor Certification.
- Building Science Basics
- Energy Audits & Customer Relations
- Evaluating Insulation
- Diagnosing Shell and Duct Leakage
- Evaluating Heating & Cooling Systems
- Base-load Measures
- Evaluating Mobile Homes (if time permits)
- BPI Math Review & Practice Test Questions (if time permits)
Course Package Includes
- 3 days of classroom with extensive math & practice quizzes
- Test for Online is scheduled the next day or often the following week.
- Course Manual – Outline of full course
- 20+ Practice quiz questions within each section and scores available at the end of each day.
- Classroom exercises
- (Exam retakes are the responsibility of the attendee.)
H4H’s Energy Auditor course prepares participants to earn the nationally recognized BPI HEP Energy Auditor Credential.
The steps to becoming eligible for and successfully passing the BPI Building Analyst exams are:
- Step 1: Prior to applying and testing for the Energy Auditor, you must also meet the specific prerequisites .
- Step 2: 3 Day “in person” Training – Extensive Math & Practice Test Questions
- Step 3: Schedule Online Test for Certification
- Course fee $1000
- Test Fees – Online Exam = $250